Forums Western Europe United Kingdom Street name isn't in capitals

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voice, and was last updated by Terry Bates 1 year, 10 months ago
  • Terry Bates

I've changed this a few times. I put it incorrectly the first time it's

Swn Y Mor

not

SWN Y Mor

in English it means "Sound of the Sea" so you got it as "SOUND of the Sea"

Needs the master database altered so it doesn't keep getting altered back.

Ben (HERE Moderator)

Hi Terry

I’ve changed the language code in the internal database to Welsh and this error has been corrected.

Thanks, Ben

Mihael Trankovski

Someone add 3D build and house number

Terry Bates

As for house numbers the local authority that controls house numbering hasn’t released the house numbers completely leaving patches of the map incomplete which they release to land registry and post office. It’s a social housing development which will be multi occupancy. On this basis I’m waiting to see the final allocation which will be in the next publication of the maps next year unless one walks the street.

As for the pseudo house number that Here Maps use they are most unreliable in places where the street numbering is just layed across the road in equal portions. Where I have corrected these they have been rejected so I leave Here Maps rubbish on that one. Once bitten never again. If they use pseudo house numbering from probably bought in sources which is incorrect that is there problem, especially if they ignore corrections, like numbering houses in parks that aren’t there. Doesn’t need me to explain. I’ve told them.

As for building outlines the only place I’ve seen is Bath in the UK where it’s been done at any scale. They have a mammoth task on their hands to do that. No point in having it not done correctly like the pseudo house numbering which is a mess in places.

Pity they cancelled the Master Master programme in Europe since it leaves capable ex Map Masters fighting systems that are not up to purpose. When we had full access rights I corrected things and they went onto the Master database… now at the same level as school kids. The few Master Masters that were kids messed it up for the others. They should have been demoted not cancelling the programme all together in Europe.

Terry Bates

I’ve added what can be done from the LA plans, housing associate plans and the postcode directory. My normal method of using building plans. The unfinished block and missing house numbers in the postcode directory which haven’t been allocated yet may reveal the end houses being used differently to the plan. Why I didn’t touch it and still haven’t till we see evidence of house numbers allocated above 14 and 31 in LA annotated maps.

If it was Here Maps doing it they wouldn’t look at the developers plans and reconcile that back to the postcode directory naming they didn’t have copyright to it for the purpose 😉. They would probably run the existing allocated house numbers across all of the street using the pseudo approach leaving over half the estate without house numbers. That’s why that approach is bad together with it slapping house numbers across areas without any houses in it since it. Sort of GIS mid 1990s style. I’d have expected it to have come on a bit. CACI type of approach of that period.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.