Forums Western Europe United Kingdom Speed limits and average speed

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voice, and was last updated by James Bancroft 5 years, 5 months ago
  • James Bancroft

In the speed section of road attributes there is a section called “what is the avg speed”. Does this have any bearing on whether future releases of the road speed library will include changes made to the speed limit? I am using a product which uses the Here road speed library and the latest release has failed to include changes made to some speed limits from the summer. I have noticed in most cases the figure in the avg speed field differs from the new speed limit.

When updating the speed limit does the avg speed field also have to be updated for the changes to go live?

Map Creator Benelux

Hi James,
    The main difference between speed limit and the average speed is that speed limit is based on posted speed limit signs in reality. An average speed though is the overall speed trend along a road and is entered as a range. So for instance the speed limit might be 50 km/h but the average speed ( due to e.g school or any other circumstances) is <30 km/h because people tend to slow down. Please find more information here: https://mapcreator.here.com/mapcreator/help/roads-and-road-structure/road-attributes/
    As for your concern regarding the latest release without the speed limit changes being included, this process requires time. Attached please find our “From edit to integration” overview, where it shows how much time it can take to have your edit integrated in the navigation system. We as HERE are responsible for delivering updated maps but car manufacturers/ navigation providers decide on the frequency of their navigation updates. They also decide which map release they buy from us and provide to their customers. Therefore, as one’s edits were provided in summer, there is a chance that they won’t appear in the next release. Please have a look at this overview and thanks for your questions.
    Have a good day.

Kind regards,
    Alicja

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Map Creator Benelux.
    James Bancroft

Thank you for your reply. Our company buys the updates quarterly and the last update was delivered in October. Most of the changes to speed limits made in the summer have appeared in the latest release but a few haven’t. What I’ve noticed is many of the ones which haven’t been updated have the average speed unchanged. This is why I assumed the average speed made a difference as to whether they get included in the release.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.