Forums Western Europe United Kingdom Slip road naming question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voice, and was last updated by Ben (HERE Moderator) 3 years, 6 months ago
  • Andrue Cope

I noticed at the weekend that my sat nav gave the following instruction when leaving the M6 for the M54, northbound (J10A):

“Please keep right”
    “Please keep left”

These directions appeared to be telling the driver to avoid the lane one slip road (keep right) and take the lane two slip road (keep left) which is confusing and unnecessary.

Looking at the map I noticed that the lane one slip was labelled ‘M54’ whereas the lane two slip was labelled ‘J10’ and ‘M54′ initially with a short, later, section labelled ’10A’ and ‘M54’. I assume the sat nav was treating ‘J10′ as a way point so wanted to avoid the first slip.

I’ve edited the map so that the entire length of both slips is labelled ’10A’ and ‘M54’. Is that the correct labelling scheme?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Andrue Cope.
    Ben (HERE Moderator)

Hi Andrue,
    Thanks for raising this. I will look into it for you. As i understand it, J10A of the M6 (northbound) with the M54 is a ‘tiger tail’ arrangement lane markings where 2 lanes split off to join thee M54.

J10 is a mile or so further south and so should have been labelled at this junction at all so thanks for fixing that. I don’t think it has been published- it’s only found in the mp creator environment.

i will le t you know.
    Thanks, Ben

Andrue Cope

Yup, J10 is further south. This is J10a but it’s a partial interchange. It’s where the M54 terminates/starts and the only things you can do are get on it west-bound and get off it south-bound. And you’re right that it’s a tiger-tail.

https://goo.gl/maps/1PNgGmuhfXYxafa29

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Andrue Cope.
    Ben (HERE Moderator)

Hi Andrue,

I’ve tweaked the two lanes on the tiger tail so that the first lane is always selected initially when leaving the M6 at J10a and the second exiting lane will only be routed along if the first is missed.

Regarding the junction naming only the first link after leaving the motorway should have the junction number on it (this can vary in length substantially eg if the speed changes or a sign is present means the link is split with a node). If the slip road goes to another motorway that same link should have the motorway number eg J10a & M54 should be on both links of the tiger tail as it leaves the M6 mainline.

Hope that makes sense, Ben

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.