This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voice, and was last updated by Peter Wells 4 years ago
  • John Holden

Hi, I am really struggling with Here maps. A section of Cliff Lane, Northwich is a private road belonging to Ineos Chemicals. In addition there is a weak bridge with width restrictors. Here should not be routing people along here, it’s a nightmare of a road. I have gone around in circles trying to edit this. Can someone do it for me please? I attach a map, the private section is between the two red crosses. Also photos showing the problems.
    Many thanks,
    John

Peter Wells

Looking in Map Creator that section shows as “trail” and “non navigable”.
    That said, is the problem being caused by people using Here or people using satnav kit which has not yet approved the change in Here mapping? I am told that Garmin have a team that reviews updates before allowing them to be loaded into Garmin mapping!

John Holden

Thanks Peter. I “offered” this change some months ago, without a userid and I got some sort of change number. I couldn’t find any way to follow up on that but, nothing happened so, more recently, I provided the information again. Again I got a change number. Again, nothing happened so I created a logonid and provided the information for a third time and, for a third time, got a change number. I left it a few days, came back to check and there was no record of any changes associated with my account. I also can’t see any way of querying the progress of a change. I attempted to load the photos etc again but this time “Submit” was greyed out. Feeling disctinctly cheesed off I asked for help. Your’s is the first reply I’ve had, after five days. Thanks for taking the trouble. In the meantime, feeling that tumbleweed was blowing across the forum (and Here mapping) I decided to change the map myself. I didn’t like to do this but it seems to be the only way anything is going to happen. Here seems to have no concept of “Private road” so I went for “Track”. It seems appropriate. The holes are tank traps rather than potholes. If someone wants to go that way that’s their choice but no one should be directed down here by a sat nav both for legal and practical reasons.
    Thanks for taking the time to help. I can’t say I’m impressed by Here maps. We’ll see what happens.
    Thanks,
    John

Peter Wells

Tank traps? sounds like it could be a proving ground for INEOS’ new off-roader – Grenadier!

I’ve been updating HERE (directly in mapcreator) for several years and, really, I’m self-taught.
    The moderators often tell me that my changes are incorrect and that the system reflects “reality”. This can even apply to speed-limit changes that I have photos of. In these circumstances I re-submit saying “Realisty is that. . . . ” and this usually has the desired result, but it is often a month or more.
    Given the way sat-navs work (people usually chose “fastest route”) changing the average speed for a road to a realistic value for that road can have a good effect.
    P

John Holden

Thanks. It sounds like changes either go through (within about a month?) or a mod objects in which case I can provide evidence.

I must stop looking. I keep seeing things that are wrong 🙂

Thanks,
    John

John Holden

It’s reverted to “Residential Road”. The changes I’m making aren’t showing under “My changes” and I’ve not haeard from a mod. How do I get this change to stick?

John

Peter Wells

Sign in
    Top left hand corner there’s “here”, below that there should be a “¾ of a blob” icon which, with mouseover, says “your stuff” – click
    There will be an icon, which with mouseover, says “your feed”
    This gives a panel “Your feed by date”.
    Top right of this panel it will say “places”.
    Click and choose “roads”. Hopefully you will see a list of your changes with something like:
    Submitted, under review, resolved
    Click on things here and see if there’s an explanation as to why it’s reverted. A common reason is that the “system reflects reality” which in some cases is a load of tosh. Click “reopen” and explain that reality is that blah, blah, blah and upload the photo of the INEOS warning.
    Remember all changes must be approved by the mods.
    For some reason or another all my comments on my old road changes have dropped off so I’m going by memory.
    Good luck!

John Holden

Sign in
    Top left hand corner there’s “here”, below that there should be a “¾ of a blob” icon which, with mouseover, says “your stuff” – click
    There will be an icon, which with mouseover, says “your feed”
    This gives a panel “Your feed by date”.
    Top right of this panel it will say “places”.
    Click and choose “roads”.

Yup, I do all of that and I get “Nothing to show here yet”. 🙁

John

Peter Wells

Try asking mapcreatoruk@here.com how to make it stick. About 18 months ago I sent him quite a few speed limit changes (imprecise because I only had start points or end points so digging was needed within the County Council). I had included GPS coordinates and got a “thank you”!

John Holden

Thanks, I’ll follow that up. I’ll also focus on why my changes aren’t being associated with my account. Obviously something I’m doing / not doing. I might try the Android version too, see if that is any more co-operative.

John

John Holden

Progress! Some of my edits are showing now under “Your stuff, your feed”, I’m also getting some things showing that I’ve not edited. though I probably clicked on them to see an expanded view. My dashboard still shows no edits.

On the other hand the Discussion Board option has vanished from the top. Ah well, you can’t have everything.

I’ve clicked “Track” on the important changes so I’ll see what happens next.

It ain’t easy but I think I’m making progress.

John

Peter Wells

Wow! some success!
    I’d noticed that things that I had expanded to look at were showing in “your stuff” which is a new, and for me, unwanted development. I’ve asked mapcreatorUK if this is correct.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.