Forums Oceania Australia Map update timing

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voice, and was last updated by Cordia Kemmer 11 months, 1 week ago
  • Kevin Hutchison

On reviewing many entries in this forum I see a common thread there constant comments on in-car navigation systems that interpret as being out of date yet their map is attributed to Here and the implication, therefore, is that Here is out of date.

Most compare with Google maps online on their phones and consider therefore that Here lags behind Google in accuracy.

Is there a way to encourage car to either supply current updates or allow third-party downloads.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Kevin Hutchison.
    John Manning

Kevin, my main reason for updating these maps is so that the changes flow through to my portable Garmin device (i.e. not built into a vehicle) which sources maps from Here.

I am not sure that the delay is solely with the car manufacturers. While I am receiving map updates from Garmin every few months, there are specific updates that I am looking out for that have not updated on the device despite being updated in MapCreator last year. Reporting issues to Garmin directly (possibly but painfully slow) does not appear to be any better.

Kevin Hutchison

My motivation is identical to yours John, in fact, I support 8 standalone Garmins of various models in a company that does a lot of oversize load work and I too have found some of my updates come through yet others don’t even though they are correct in Mapcreator for some considerable time. Even the order of updates appearing is not in step with their acceptance in Mapcreator.

However my comment is based on the factory in car unit update frequency, leading to many comments implying Here maps are out of date. My very own 2018 Prius C came with a 2016 map and Toyota say that is the latest making it next to useless. I get comments as to why I have a Garmin in the car when it has its own factory GPS and my answers are frustrating.

Cordia Kemmer

Although several comments have implied that Here maps are outdated, my opinion is based on the OEM in-car unit update frequency. Since Toyota claims that the map in my very own 2018 Prius C is the most recent, it is practically useless. My responses to questions about why I have a Garmin in the car since it has a built-in GPS are aggravating. drift boss

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.