Forums Oceania Australia Business Address that have No Public Front

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voice, and was last updated by Kevin Hutchison 5 years, 1 month ago
  • John Manning

Various business addresses are listed as places. For example, you may have “ABC Pty. Ltd.” listed, even though it has no retail shopfront or anything that identifies it as a place of business. From the outside – somebody’s home.

In many cases, these are the registered addresses of a company, although no business occurs there.

From a map users perspective, these add no value and should be removed to reduce clutter, allowing “real” destinations to stand out.

Is there any policy regarding the approach taken here?

John Manning

Can someone from HERE provide some guidance or refer to some existing document please?

Kevin Hutchison

I too have noticed a significant number of these in my local area and clearly they are not conducting the business named from the location identified. Many events have been placed at the venue where they may run but the major event sponsor is then identified as located at that venue.
    Where this is clearly the case I have removed the place identifying that it never existed.

John Manning

Further to the above, I have found a number of businesses that identify as being in a particular suburb but without any particular address. These include mobile businesses, online businesses and what seem to be home-based businesses that don’t want their exact address published.

Once again, I don’t think that these add any value to the maps and should be removed as they don’t reflect a physical location. Happy to be corrected though!

Kevin Hutchison

I do not see how any automated system can differentiate a business listing Lat/long as not being the location at which the business is carried out, so I guess it is up to us users to delete them as we identify them. Bear in mind many places are imported and hence updated from outside sources so it is highly likely that a deleted business will reappear with the next update. The ones I find surprising are the one located on motorways where there are no businesses someone has supplied this lat/long and is clearly wrong.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.