Forums Western Europe United Kingdom The British Cartographic Society's Annual Conference This week, in Durham???

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voice, and was last updated by James Barton 6 years, 7 months ago
  • James Barton

Just got the Here email and was really surprised to see a photo of my home city of Durham. The email said
    “The British Cartographic Society’s Annual Conference
    This week, we’ll be attending the British Cartographic Societys (sic) Annual Conference in Durham. ”

Good luck with that. It is at Redworth Hall, in COUNTY Durham. You will not be able to see the location of the photo in the email from near the conference. It is 16 miles and 35 minutes by car away from Durham! The route is in an attached screenshot.

BTW, that photo is from 2006-2007! The scaffolding is for apartments first on the market in 2007.

I do worry when Cartographers don’t know where their POIs are.

I would also strongly suggest that you either fix the location in HERE Maps before tomorrow, or use the “Spa at Redworth Hall Hotel” as your destination in your satnav! If you put the hotel in, you are going to find yourself on a road that has no entrance to the Hotel… see the screen shots.

Sadly this is why I get frustrated by Here maps.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by James Barton. Reason: trying to add images - the upload flashes, shows 100% and disappears, but the images are not attached
    James Barton

Failed in Firefox and in Chrome. Now trying Edge.

Claire Robinson

Hi James,
    Thanks for your post and may I apologise for not technically being correct in terms of the admin level of the location of the conference. Of course, you are right, but in the interests of keeping it simple, as the BCS and SOC have also done on their website is to simply specify Durham.
    With regard to your other comments, the corrections were made of deleting a duplicate Hotel POI and relocating the Hotel and 1744 restaurant to the access road, as a result of verifying these for the trip to the conference. Regarding the picture, apologies again it was not quite to your liking… we thought this was a lovely fairly representative picture to use to attach to the article but it would be great if you had some of your own similar pictures of your home town and areas we could perhaps use in some of our newsletters? The picture upload functionality is available on the editing menu or you can email them to mapcreatoruk@here.com .
    Thanks James!

James Barton

Glad you were able to fix the mapping errors.

I’d noticed that the BCS were saying Durham, and that your picture was actually theirs. I appreciate that you were just passing on their information – so it is really them that I was getting at with the photo. If I had thought I was going to a conference in Durham and found I was over half an hour away, not able to have a wander round without a car or taxi ride, I’d be upset!

The gripe I have with HERE is the location of POIs.

I would happily upload photos of Durham, but I don’t have any of the conference venue.

The Upload Images button in this Discussion board does not work. I can’t see an editing menu in this board.

I see there is a possibility of uploading photos to individual POIs in the map creator, if that is what you meant. (I’ve uploaded a few to the cathedral. )

I have just been side tracked by looking for a POI to upload a photo to, only to find out that even the Cathedral was in the wrong place! And in three languages in different places. Thank goodness for Google translate. I’ve just spent 30 minutes correcting the OBVIOUS complete errors, merging POIs of the same thing in different languages or slightly different categories, deleting duplicates and things that are so far away from where they ought to be that it is ludicrous. Removing the shops I know have closed years ago. Something from Jarrow – on the Tyne about 20 miles away; a shop in Bearpark, one of the villages several miles out, and so on. Colleges, cafes and museums were in the wrong places. There are shops, cafes and bars throughout the centre that are not in the right place, but without being there I could not be sure where to put them accurately. Some that were a long way off I have just shifted to an approximate place ON THE RIGHT STREET! . It would be a full time job just fixing the utter rubbish that is in there.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.