Forums Western Europe United Kingdom Marina – not a public footpath

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voice, and was last updated by Terry Bates 5 years, 4 months ago
  • Terry Bates

This marina has pin coded access so strictly speaking not a public throughfare unless you have a boat etc. e.g. they don't want people on any of this area who aren't authorised.

Makes the map look pretty but I suggest it's deleted since it's not a trail.

Gordon HERE Map Master (Ambassador)

HERE maps is more than just a public GPS the data is sent to many organisations. Just because its pin coded does not mean it should be deleted. Someone is is lost or drunk could be using their gps to get to their boat.
    Just because something does not seem right to you does not mean its wrong and should not be listed.
    Map creator lists all roads/tracks and other things but depending on what map service you subscribe to some things will not show up or be listed if they do not pay for that data.
    For example: A cycling app may only pay for trails only so are you saying no roads, speed cameras or places should be listed?. The purpose of mapcreator is to list all things which will show on that site however its all down to who buys the data after that.
    A marina may want to buy data that shows their layout and provide that to customers. Its like a campsite you would get lost if cabin numbers were not listed, just because its not a house number then it should not be listed as its a caravan, but again its down to how data is supplied and used by end customer.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Gordon HERE Map Master (Ambassador).
    Terry Bates

These will be shown as tracks I’m sure that don’y exist.

I’ve just deleted fantasy roads out of a national trust property that got into HereWeGo app. Was not paved, was mud. Electric wire fence across the road every few hundred yards. It was a cattle moving farm track.

If whatever is digitised on isn’t toggled for it’s use it will go threw. Ditto the private historic site pier that you put a track on and I took off. The owner of that site won’t be accepting visitors. Ditto another private pier that says no access under any circumstances, prohibited and camera warning signs !. (removed that as well).

I’ve also had an ear battering from the farmers wife on another track you put in “we are trying to stop people walking on that” – not sure whether she is a big Here Maps user. You put that in as a paved road, it’s mud.

This is the problem with arm chair mapping you don’t see what the conditions are on the ground and stuff will get threw whilst roads that go under trees just get missed out. I see that a lot round here.

On street numbering the low level OS maps can be wrong. Just found that OS used the plot numbering rather than house numbering in one instance. QA here.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.