Forums Western Europe United Kingdom Incorrect speed limits showing (Witney, OXON) – Legal implications

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voice, and was last updated by Ben (HERE Moderator) 1 year, 8 months ago
  • Russell Wileman

Hi,

We’ve recently had 2 roads in my town (WItney, OXfordshire) start showing as 20mph for both dynamic speed warnings in my 2022 VW and my sons black box for his insurance on roads which are still signed as 30MPH. The interesting part is there was a consultation which finished on the 8th July to change these roads to 20mph but these changes seem to have been made the day the consultation closed.

I spoke to Oxfordshire County Council who confirmed they set the speed limits and HERE.com are the only source who they pass speed limit data to but they’re adamant they havent changed these limits yet. Looking at map editor the roads listed below are showing as 20mph already.

The roads are Welch Way & Station Lane.

So as the map editor is showing 20mph for these roads as is the dynamic speed limit and black box insurance data – whos accountable for the limit set on there roads as I suspect there are legal implications?

Thanks

Ben (HERE Moderator)

HI Russell

Thanks for contacting HERE. I will get a colleague to investigate this and try and find an answer.

Thanks, Ben

Ben (HERE Moderator)

Hi Russell

The roads you have reported around Witney received a lowered speed limit in 2021. Oxfordshire County Council supplied HERE with a sealed traffic regulation order which i’ve attached. This order came into force on 15 September 2021 and the road speeds were updated in the HERE database accordingly.

I assume that Oxfordshire County Council have a backlog of signage installation and still haven’t got around to erecting and changing the signs where necessary.

In fact the reduced speed limit concerning Witney has appeared in the UK press today – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-11035753/Oxfordshire-town-reduce-residential-speed-limits-20mph.html

Thanks, Ben

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Ben (HERE Moderator).
    Russell Wileman

Hi Ben,

Thank you for getting back to me.

That document covers the 20mph changes that went in place late last year but there is no reference to Station lane or the entire length of Welch way (it only states westwards to woodford way). Both these roads in their entirety are now showing as 20mph for my sons blackbox insurance and in my car which receives speed limit updates. The 20MPH limit is also shown in map creator for these roads.

I might be miss understanding something but is seems additional changes have been applied to far in advance?

Thanks
    Russell

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Russell Wileman.
    Ben (HERE Moderator)

Hi Russell,

Upon checking both Map Creator and our internal database i can see that Station Lane and Welch Way (east of Woodford Way) are still 30mph. I’ve attached a screenshot with some speed limits showing. These 30mph sections haven’t been changed or reverted for many years

Map Creator link: https://mapcreator.here.com/?l=51.7825,-1.4895,17,normal,0.10

HERE will monitor all the forthcoming speed limit changes from the county council.

Thanks, Ben

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.