Forums Western Europe United Kingdom How to Map a Residential Road

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Gordon HERE Map Master (Ambassador) 6 years, 10 months ago
  • Gordon HERE Map Master (Ambassador)

    A residential road is a road that accesses a building, industrial facility or anything where the public is allowed.
    Examples are: Homes, Factories, Lochs/Reservoirs, Wind Farms and Farms. The name Residential is pretty generic and not just limited to Streets in towns and Cities.

    Residential Streets:-
    In residential streets all roads should be drawn as such and the correct speed limit added should that be 20, 30, 40mph, you should also add the correct direction of travel if its a one way system.
    All other tags are the default and should be left as they are unless there is signs that specifically say that a certain vehicle is not allowed.
    If it is a cul-de-sac (Dead End Road) then it is pretty obvious it is not suitable for buses or trucks so disable them, however leave delivery trucks ticked as they are still allowed to access that area (as how else will you get your home deliveries of groceries or new washing machine if you disable that option)

    All access to Farms should be drawn as a residential road and the speed limit left blank as the system will automatically default to the allowed National Speed Limit of 60mph. You can add 60mph to the speed box if you wish. Just because the road will not allow anywhere near that speed does not mean you can make up a speed, it is still covered by the National Speed Limit. If the road has a sign saying a lower speed make sure it is an official sign and not just one placed by the farmer. If it is put there by the farmer then it is not a legal sign so the speed is still officially 60mph so should be recorded as that. If in doubt then just leave the speed limit blank.
    If the road is made of tarmac then leave the “Road is Paved” ticked. If the road is dirt, grass or gravel then tick the “Poor Surface Quality” tag and untick the Paved one. If the road is tarmac and full of deep potholes then leave the Paved tag ticked but also tick the Poor Surface Quality tag too.
    Unless there is a specific sign saying a specific vehicle is not allowed then leave the default vehicles as listed. (most remote farms have regular truck deliveries and also children are picked up by a bus so dont presume a bus is not allowed, a bus is classed as a vehicle with 9 or more seats so that is transit van size upwards)
    If the road has an official name then add that to the box provided, you can use local knowledge and also OS maps to verify this, otherwise leave the name blank.

    Wind Farm Roads:-
    These should also be drawn as a residential road, all these roads are official legal roads and should be mapped. Some will have gates stopping general traffic does not mean its not a road, some will have a gate stopping access and some will not. The ones with gates still allow all vehicles to travel on them so the default vehicles as listed should be left as they are. The speed limit is also the standard National Speed Limit which is 60mph even if a sign says otherwise, unless its an official sign then anything else is only advisory and not legal.
    (If it has a gate then common sense says you will not have access so the gps device will recalculate if you deviate from that location, if there is no gate then anyone can drive these roads unless specific signs say otherwise, but it should still be drawn as a normal road)
    Some of the roads are made of tarmac so leave the tag as Paved, if it is gravel then untick Paved, if it is a dirt road or bad with potholes then tick the Poor Surface Quality tag.
    Many of these roads access additional features like remote farms, transmitters and reservoirs so don’t presume they go nowhere and not suitable to map, if a road accesses somewhere where people live, work or maintain something then it should be added.
    Unless there is an official sign saying a specific vehicle is not allowed then it should be left as default unless its a transmitter. Remember a bus is classed as a vehicle with 9 or more seats so there could be people going fishing at local reservoir plus a truck is any vehicle over 7.5t or any vehicle fitted with a tachograph so could be as small as a transit van)

    Remote Reservoirs/Loch Roads:-
    These should be recorded in the same way as Wind Farm Roads.

    Roads to Transmitters:-
    These should be recorded the same as Wind Farm Roads unless it is a dirt track off the main road, it should be tagged as Poor Surface Quality and vehicles allowed as Cars and Emergency Vehicles Only, common sense will say that other vehicles not suitable so should be unticked.. The speed limit should be as above the National Speed Limit. You should also tag it as Local Traffic Only

    Remote Moor Roads:-
    These should be recorded the same as Wind Farm Roads. Just because these seem very remote and go through deep forests does not mean they dont serve a purpose, they can access remote Farms, Reservoirs, Transmitters, Wind Turbines or just be a very scenic single track road with passing places to get from A to B.
    For obvious reasons Trucks and Buses should be unticked but leave Delivery vehicles ticked.
    If the road has an official name or road number the add that to the name box, if it does not have one then leave it blank.

    Factories and Industrial Estates:-
    If there is a road that accesses the place then it should be recorded as a Residential Road, you can draw the road to the rear of building and any road within the Factory or Estate. Unless official signs says otherwise all vehicle types should be left as the ticked default, common sense would tell you if you arrive and there is a security gate or fence that your not allowed. The speed limit will be National Speed Limit of 60mph unless an official sign says otherwise, this can range from 5mph to the National Speed Limit depending on location and facility.
    Remember: Not all places are for trucks only, there is staff entrances, goods pickup points (like Ikea for example) and carparks at rear of places so cars and taxi’s and also buses are allowed (see explaination of what a bus is above)


    When it comes to remote locations you may see a blue rectangular sign that says “Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles”, remember this is only an warning advisory sign. You will usually find these on narrow roads with no passing places (So if you meet someone else you could end up have to reverse a mile or more) or roads that are very bad quality and full of holes or muddy and even on roads that have Fords. It basically means that yes you could go down that road but its at your own risk as council will not take responsibility if you get stuck or damage your vehicle. Roads like this should still be recorded but untick Paved and tick Poor Surface Quality. All these roads are still legal to drive down but is always at own risk. If Here change there policy on how to record these then it will be posted and the road drawn can easily be changed to something else at later date.

    ** If in doubt draw the road as it is but then post a message on the forum asking for advice along with exact location and other users and Here Staff can advise. **

    • This topic was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Gordon HERE Map Master (Ambassador).
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Gordon HERE Map Master (Ambassador).
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.