Forums Eastern Europe Cyprus House numbers

This topic contains 22 replies, has 3 voice, and was last updated by HERE Map Creator Konstantina Kokkalis 5 years, 4 months ago
  • Charalambos Stavrou

Hello all.

When you create a new place, you enter the street number as well.
    You also have the option to add a house number on the map.
    If there is already a Point with street number filled, is it OK to also create a House Number for that building?

Also, when adding a new House Number, there is an option for “Building name”. What should we enter there and when it is acceptable to leave it empty?

HERE Map Creator Konstantina Kokkalis

Dear user, please feel free to create also a house number.
    A building name is a textual address that represents a building or property name. It may be an alternative to a house number or may be in addition to a house number. You can use it or leave it blank. There is no limitation or rule. In Greece we are not using this often, but if you want please fell free.
    In Cyprus for the moment we do not have point addresses, but we are planning to add shortly.

Charalambos Stavrou

Thank you Konstantina.
    I will continue adding both the “Point address” and house number!

Can you please answer to me another question that I have? (I can create separate topic if you want).
    I noticed that a lot of addresses that contain actual names (Name and Surname) are reversed.
    For example: Οδός Κολοκοτρώνη Θεόδωρου
    I believe the correct name should be: Οδός Θεόδωρου Κολοκοτρώνη.
    The actual Street Signs, usually, shows first the Name and then the Surname.
    (All other major GPS apps and Maps shows the street names as Name and Surname – e.g. Οδός Θεόδωρου Κολοκοτρώνη)

What’s HERE WeGo position on this matter? I should rename addresses like that?

Thank you

Dear user, in general, we try to have and keep consistency in our name’s database. In order to achieve this, when we have people’s names, we keep the order, Surname first, Name second.

Thank you,
    Map Creator Greece-Cyprus

Charalambos Stavrou

Dear Konstantina thank you for clarifying that.

However, since in Cyprus the official street names are First name then Surname, and this format is what is used countrywide, wouldn’t be better for First Name – Surname to be used?

For example, when using the actual WeGo navigation app, the user will be on Οδός Θεόδωρου Κολοκοτρώνη but the navigation app will display Οδός Κολοκοτρώνη Θεόδωρου.

Also, in major avenues/leoforous the names appear to be in First Name – Surname format:
    Leoforos Georgiou Griva Digeni, Leoforos Dimostheni Severi, Leoforos Kyriakou Matsi, Leoforos Spyrou Kyprianou

Please note that I’m not looking into questioning Here’s Map Creator guidelines neither to underestimate the Map Creator Greece-Cyprus team!
    I’m asking because it’s something unusual (for me at least).

Thank you for your time!

Dear user,
    thank you for sharing this valuable information with us. The reason we are using this series is because in Greece we have cases were street names may occur only with the Surname, eg Οδός Κολοκοτρώνη or Οδός Κολοκοτρώνη Θ., Λεωφόρος Γρίβα Διγενή, instead the full name, etc. So in order to avoid such cases which cause inconsistency, we have decided to use, when its clear, full names, starting with the Surname and following the First name. Kindly request to verify, if in Cyprus, you are 100% sure, there are no such cases. If not, then in the near future we would update accordingly.

Thank you
    Map Creator Greece-Cyprus

Charalambos Stavrou

Hello,

I’m pretty sure 99% that street names are Name+Surname. There might be cases (I didn’t see any all my years here in Cyprus) where the street is Surname+Name. I tried to find any laws or legislation that states that but I couldn’t find any.
    However, I’m pretty confident that you will not find street named as Surname+Name.

Thank you for your time!

Vas Pag

Dear User,

Thank you for your input. The internal rules in our database for the street names, including Cyprus, is Surname first and Name second, this cannot be changed for now.

Charalambos Stavrou

Dear Vas Pag thank you for your reply.
    Apart from Cyprus and Greece can you please tell me for what other countries this rule applies?
    Because from my point of view this is not right. First of all this rule does not comply with the actual naming scheme here in Cyprus. For a software/application that it’s first objective is to create quality maps for navigation this should be it’s first priority. Map the actual streets as it is and adapt its rules/instructions depending on the country.
    Even if Greece and Cyprus has several things in common (apart from language) it doesn’t necessary means that they must have the same rules/instructions.
    It is very confusing not only for local users but also for tourists that will try to navigate in Cyprus using Here WeGo.
    I’m not trying to argue with you or with the rules in place, I’m just stating my opinion and what I believe is better for mapping Cyprus.
    For best results, there must be some local moderators/map creators for Cyprus as well.
    With the right tools I’m willing to change all those reversed addresses for a better Cyprus map!
    Thank you!

Vas Pag

Dear user,

We will review your proposal. In relation to your comment about local moderators/map creators we are running a program related to local Ambassadors/Map Masters. If you are interested please send us an email to mapscyprus@here.com with your details and we will contact you.

Dear user, we reviewed your proposal and we are planning to update street names as per your provided feedback. We kindly request, to inform us with any other valuable information/detail that you acknowledge and believe that can help us achieve a good result.
    Thank you

Charalambos Stavrou

Dear all, sorry for the very late reply and thank you for considering updating the addresses names.
    I tried my best to find an official list/catalogue which contains all addresses here in Cyprus.
    I contact two organisations (Ministry of Transport, Communications and Works and «Ένωση Δήμων») however they didn’t have such a list/catalogue/book available.
    «Ένωση Δήμων», told me to contact Cyprus Post and try using the address finder in their website: https://www.cypruspost.post/el/find-postal-codes
    I also send an email to Cyprus Post regarding address naming but I didn’t get any response.
    Maybe if you try and contact them, since you are part of the Here Maps team, will answer/give you more information.
    Other than that, normal/usual rules of the Greek Language are applied.
    I found a book which listed all the addresses along with the map for the Limassol area, and after a quick glance, I didn’t find any address names that special rules apply.
    If I can help in any other way, please let me know.

Also, I noticed that previous address names changed by me (changed to First Name – Last Name) were changed back their initial Last Name – First Name.
    I have to rename all those addresses again?

Thank you

Dear user, we would like to thank you for your support and your efforts. We are grateful for having people like you, willing to help us have, as much as possible, a perfect map. The reason your changes were rolled back, is because it would be easier to reverse at once all the names as they are now (Last Name+First Name) than having a mixed situation. So there is no need to update them again at this point. Once again, thank you.

Charalambos Stavrou

Glad I can help.
    Would you like to continue updating those kind of addresses? Or should wait for an official announcement from your side?

Dear user,
    regarding the reverse of street names, there is no need to take any action as it will be done in an automatic way. Of course, if you identify a name that is completely wrong (eg in the map we have Vasileos Pavlou, but in reality it is Koumoundourou), you can surely update it. Same for house numbers, points of interested. We would like to thank you once again for your valuable support and efforts
    Regards

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.