Forums Oceania Australia Ford Sync 3 mapping Australia.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voice, and was last updated by Kevin Hutchison 5 years, 1 month ago
  • Dino Ronchi

Hi,
    my service dealer told me that the mapping updates for my 2018 Ford Ecosport with Sync 3 come from Whereis.com.au, but I think its from you guys as that’s what it says in my car manual.
    Can you please confirm which mapping data Ford Australia use for my car so as I know which one to submit corrections too.
    Thanking you
    Dino.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Dino Ronchi.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Dino Ronchi.
    Kevin Hutchison

Yes most Automotive mapping data and speed limits come from “Here Technology” and the input program is Map Creator it is real easy to drive and most updates are done really quickly. However if Ford is like Toyota they do not filter back to you quickly, my Toyota’s last update is 2016 now 7 updates behind my Garmin and I have made over 46,000 edits most of which have appeared on my Garmin.
    You will find it easier to provide road data input than Google and you will find most of your input will apply to Google mapping used on most phones anyway. The rural areas need the most input as there are less of us providing input so log in and get inputting..

Dino Ronchi

Gday Kevin,
    so just to confirm the mapping in my Ecosport is not from Whereis then like my service advisor told me ?
    Cheers mate.

Shona Chisholm

Hello Dino, yes – Ford are using our map data. As Kevin mentioned, update times vary depending on model and plan you have. Let us know if you have any additional questions or you could join our Map Creator facebook community at https://www.facebook.com/groups/HEREExpertCommunityOceania

Kevin Hutchison

Dino, the best I can obtain is that “Whereis” is a directory program not a mapping program and it is based on “Open Street Map” data that appears to be several versions behind the current Google Maps with fairly old Satellite images, yet I see some recent updates, however I am not aware of the way to provide their updates..
    Here is primarily a Mapping system that supplies and from my experience supplies, at minimum road alignment, street name, speed limits data too many GPS device suppliers. Lots of suppliers then overlay their own Points of Interest and collect some funding from businesses that list with them, thus there are so many competing in this directory aspect.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.