Forums North America United States 15 MPH speed limit for alleys in California

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voice, and was last updated by Roy Aycock 4 years, 10 months ago
  • Dana Archer

The "California default" speed limit for alleys is 15 MPH. I've submitted many, but Here reviewers seem to reject these edits. Is it Here policy to not include speed limits on public alleys?

Roy Aycock

Dana,
    Have you noticed that roads are missing and speed limits have changed. I have drawn in a roundabout 4 times just to have it default back to a crossroads. Roads that had speed limit of 55 mph is now showing 25 mph. They have got a mess on their hands. Someone has really messed up. It does not do any good to fix something right now. A complete subdivision has disappeared. I am done.

Dana Archer

Hi Roy. I didn’t get any notification of your reply, so please excuse the delay.

Yes, HERE has applied some sort of automated process to both speed limits and to Places. They have screwed up both to an extent that I find unbelievable. The speed limits in the Los Angeles area are now a complete mess, after I spent a year in the San Fernando Valley setting most of them correctly.

I have been in contact with “Dave” from the HERE US Community and he has helped out quite a bit. But why it takes me, a volunteer editor, to point out what a mess they’ve made of things is beyond belief.

So yes, I’m about to give up and move on to something that isn’t a waste of my time.

Roy Aycock

Dana, Yes, the same in North Carolina. They have made a big mess of everything that I have done over here. Don’t know if I will stay with them or not. Just keep me informed as to your status.

Dana Archer

Okay, will do. It’d be nice if the navigation systems on my two top-of-the-line Lexus vehicles were as good as the rest of the car.

HERE policies regarding speed limits don’t allow for accurate mapping. E.g,: HERE will map the speed limit only at the EXACT point where the sign is. So when a speed-limit change actually takes effect at an intersection as in most cases, HERE will only map it where the sign is–usually 50 to 100 feet or more from the intersection (So people actually can see the sign as it doesn’t detract from other traffic signals and signs). HERE also doesn’t like “default” SLs where they are codified in the state Vehicle Code or local code. In California, for example, streets in a business or residential area are ALWAYS 25 MPH and alleys are ALWAYS 15 MPH unless posted otherwise. I’ve made a lot of progress in that regard but still am battling many alleys. Also, HERE insists on setting the SL on freeway ramps and transitions at the “advisory” speed instead of the regulatory speed. This results in a hodgepodge of incorrect limits, sometimes many different limits set on a single ramp or transition. Completely stupid and incorrect and is contrary to state laws.

Regarding Places: HERE recently imported a bunch of errant Places from sources on the Internet, like unofficial Facebook pages, and errant Yellowbook pages. A few months ago I discovered that almost all of the stores and offices in my local shopping center were gone, replaced by non-existent construction companies and locksmith businesses. With Dave’s help I got most things restored (with many errors), but a bunch of errant crap remains.

Garbage in, garbage out!

Dana Archer

Roy: Hundreds of my edits over the last few months were just rejected today, including my detailed mapping of the Universal Studios Hollywood lot. I’m thoroughly pissed. Anything similar on your end?

Roy Aycock

Dana, no not as of yet. I’m up to number 27 in usa for edits and if they start denying my edits, then I’ll have to quit editing. I got pissed when a round-a-bout was deleted 5 times and I had to draw it back in. I sent a message to administration and told them that if they were going to tell me what’s on the roadway thousands of miles away when I can look out my back door and see the round-a-about, then it was over for me. The lady that is in charge apologized and somehow I don’t seem to have the same guy approving the roads or speed limits. I have put in about 10,000 edits on speed limits in the past couple of days. I sure hope that they don’t try that, since google is right here and I’ve been working with them also and they have approved about 99.5 % of everything that I have sent them. Keep me informed and I will do the same. Good luck.

Roy Aycock

Dana, also have contacted Garmin concerning the way I was done with the round-a-bout. They advised me that they would be keeping an eye on it. I suggested that Garmin go to Google Maps since theirs are updated every 24 hrs and you can see what changes were made the next day.

Dana Archer

Okay, thanks. It seems that the rejects were only in the San Fernando Valley. But there were so many and they went back so far that I don’t know the full extent. They involved speed limits, new roads, corrected geometry; essentially everything. I suspect that this may be an aberration because this has never happened before on such a large scale.

I sent a “I’m Pissed” letter to HERE so I’ll see what happens. HERE doesn’t respond much anymore, but when they do it’s cordial and largely consist of “We know we have problems and we’re looking into it.”

BTW: How do you submit corrections to Garmin? I don’t even know how to check Garmin’s maps to know if they’re correct or not.

Roy Aycock

Dana,
    Just went back through records. They are rejecting all my edits also. I’m done with them. If they want to do it themselves from over 1000 miles away, then they can have at it. I am really pissed now. All the edits I did to try to help them. I’m removing herewego from my iphone. They can kiss my ass. Pardon the french but this really makes me mad. Dana, send me a message at raycock2@nc.rr.com and I will explain it to you. You won’t be disappointed. It’s really easy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.